Remote Learning Device Request
If you requested a device for your child to use for summer learning, that device will be shipped to you.
If you need a device for your child for the fall, use the Device Request form. This information will be shared with your school so they can work with you to ensure your child has a device for blended or remote learning this Fall. If you need to contact your child’s school, use Find A School, and click on the General Information section of the school details.
Who Can Request an iPad
Any child, from 3K to grade 12, who attends a NYC public school, DOE Pre-K or 3K program (NYCEEC/FCC) and who needs a device is eligible to receive a device for remote learning.
Charter school students who are eligible for devices:
- 3K-12 students with individualized education programs (IEPs)
- 3K-12 students who are living in shelter, foster care, or are living doubled up who need a device
Private School Students who are eligible for devices:
- K-12 students who were recommended for a non-public school placement by the DOE and placed at a state-approved non-public school by the Central Based Support Team
- K-12 students who attend a private or religious school and also receive special education services from the DOE, typically through an Individualized Education Services Program (IESP), who need a device for such services
- Preschool students who receive special education services from the DOE, including students in NY State-Approved 4410 providers and students receiving related services or Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT) services.
Students who will attend a DOE school next year may keep their DOE iPad over the summer. In the fall, returning students will be asked to bring the DOE device to the school they are attending. This includes students transitioning to new DOE schools, such as middle or high schools or students transferring to a new DOE school.
Students who are graduating or not returning to a DOE school in the fall will need to return their centrally distributed iPads. If any family needs to return an iPad, they should contact their child’s school, fill out a Technical Support for Families form, or call the help desk 718-935-5100.
iPad Care and Safety
iPads should remain with the student they are assigned to in order to engage in remote learning. If there is a change in the student's residence during remote learning the iPad should remain with the student, and should be used primarily inside the residence to prevent unnecessary damage.
Damaged iPads are protected by AppleCare. The DOE will work with families to get broken devices repaired using this coverage. For AppleCare support, please file a Technical Support Ticket(Open external link) or call the Help desk at 718-935-5100. Families will not be held accountable for accidental damage through normal use, but please exercise caution and common sense to protect your iPad. iPads must be installed in the case provided. You should be using your iPad primarily indoors for schoolwork and it must be secured in the case when you travel with the device.
Getting Started with Your iPad
If you have received your iPad, and need help getting it set up, see the Getting Started with Your iPadpage.
Technical Support for Families
Support for the iPads is available through our Technical Support Ticket(Open external link) or call the Help desk at 718-935-5100